Monday, July 9, 2007

In the know? No.


Last Saturday was an interesting day, diabetically speaking.

Isabella started the day at 280-something. Pretty typical. I fed and shot 2 units as usual. Then I decided to test her three hours later. I hardly ever test in the early part of her cycle because I know she doesn’t start responding to the insulin until about 4 hours after the injection.

Turns out, I don’t know nothin’.

At her +3 test she was down to 108. The mathematically inclined can see right away that her blood sugar had dropped nearly 200 points already. The diabetically knowledgeable can see that the logical reaction to that is:

Uh oh.

There were many hours to go until Isabella’s insulin hit its peak effectiveness and only about 70 points between her and the dreaded hypoglycemia. Luckily, I didn’t have a lot to do on Saturday, so I stuck close to home and tortured my cat with a lancet pen.

+5: 55
+6: 48
+7: 58
+9: 62

Lovely double digits for many hours in a row. And a cat seemingly unaffected by these low numbers. Isabella was fine. A little annoyed by my constant poking, but fine from a diabetes standpoint.

At the time of the 62 reading, I fed the cats their afternoon meal and went to a movie. When I got home four hours later I tested Isabella one last time to see if she was ready for more insulin.

348.

Jeez. She was ready.

What a weird day. I don't know why she dropped so far so early. I don't know why she rose so high at the end. I don't know if she's been having a pattern like this as a regular thing since I increased to 2 units.

I don't know nothin'.

No comments: