Monday, July 23, 2007

Grumpy optimist


Man, I've been grumpy and frustrated about Isabella's diabetes the last few days. Once again, her blood sugar is running high and my patience is running short. That poor kitty hasn't been under 200 since last Thursday - barely under 300, actually - and it doesn't seem to matter one tiny little bit what I do with the insulin.

I think the reason I get so grumpy is because I'm an optimist. Bah! you say - that doesn't make sense. But it does! The cat has had many really good days in the last several weeks. Double digits and pre-shots in the mid-100s. That kind of stuff gets me all smiley and hopeful. I'm not really thinking she'll go into remission, but I am thinking that I've finally figured out a decent dosing strategy.

Then this. Last Thursday she started out at 140. By the time I got home from work her blood sugar was 487 (an all-time high!) and it's been a triple-digit bitch ever since.

It's possible that Thursday's spike is due to rebound. I've read that when rebound happens it can be accompanied by excess cortisol and epinephrine which cause insulin resistance for several days. I've definitely been seeing resistance since then. So I guess I'll just optimistically assume that it's a freak event.

And to further help kick me out of my funk, I'm leaving for Disneyland tomorrow. That's right - the Happiest Place on Earth. The pet sitter can give Isabella her insulin while I cavort with Mickey and Goofey... and of course, Grumpy.

I deal with her numbers when I get back.

No comments: