Saturday, September 8, 2007

Nagged into action

My cat is a nag.

I’m sure most cats are nags. Wanting to go out. Wanting to get fed. Wanting a belly rub. Isabella is a nag in those ways (except the belly rubs; she’ll take you out if you touch her belly. Casey is the belly-rub beggar around here.) and in one other way: she nags at me for her tests and shots.

The routine is to feed, then test and give insulin in the morning before work and in the afternoon when I get home. In the morning (after I’ve been nagged out of bed) I shower while the cats are eating. By the time I’m done, they’re done and Isabella is ready. Since I’ve got to go to work, I stay pretty much on schedule.

In the afternoon, though, I have to entertain myself while the cats eat. I open the mail, check email, change clothes, and lots of times I get distracted and delayed. Delays annoy my cat.

Yesterday I poked about doing this and that, then used the bathroom. As I sat on the toilet, Isabella came in and gave me a look. No noise, no meows, just a look. She conveyed her displeasure with my dawdling as effectively as a pointed glance at a wristwatch. Never mind the hundred times I’ve waited to test her while she cleaned her butt; heaven forbid I should clean my own.

Things being what they are, I apologized to Isabella and hurried to get the testing supplies and insulin ready.

She’s scary when she’s annoyed.

No comments: