Sunday, March 9, 2008

BGPs


I’m at a crossroad with Isabella’s diabetes. It’s been nearly 18 months since diagnosis, and her blood glucose is really no better now than it was the first day. I’m seriously considering a switch to a different insulin – Lantus – to see if that will help. Unfortunately, I can’t just go to the drugstore and get Lantus; it requires a prescription. A prescription requires the vet’s OK, which makes me anticipate all the questions the vet might ask before she agrees to write that prescription.

Such as:

Have I really done all I can with the PZI?

The truth is, I’m not sure if I have done everything. I have not seriously tried aggressive dosing with Isabella. I lean heavily toward the timid when it comes to injecting insulin, but lately there’s been this little voice whispering (OK, screeching) in my ear: Try higher doses. Don’t be such a weenie. She’ll be fine, and (gasp) maybe even improve for a change.

In other words: buck up baby and try something new.

In the PZI insulin group on the Feline Diabetes Message Board, braving the higher doses is known as putting on the Big Girl Panties – or BGPs. (In my mental picture, the BGPs are silky nylon and feature rows of ruffles across the backside. Much like the pair that was given to me for my 8th or 9th birthday by up-the-street neighbor Denise M. They were red, for pete's sake, and yes, I opened them at a party. Yes, in front of all my friends. The humiliation is only just now starting to fade. So, a side question to Denise’s mother,who I feel certain is the truly responsible party here: What on earth were you thinking?)

But I digress.

I decided yesterday that the time had come to pull on the BGPs and wear them proudly. In the morning, I gave Isabella 2.6 units – her current “normal” dose. I tested several times throughout the day to see how she responded to the insulin, and the answer was: she didn’t. It was like nothing was there. So, after seven hours of nothing, I shot her again, this time with three units. (Never, in my wildest dreams did I ever think I’d give a dose that big.)

Well? What happened??

Her blood sugar went up. And then up come more. Screw it. Off came the BGPs, ruffles and all. I waited until this morning to give another dose – this time only 1.6 units.

The result: all day I’ve been watching her blood sugar drop, just like it’s supposed to. To me that means my plain ol’ cotton panties are just fine, thank you very much.

2 comments:

DiabetesCat's mama said...

Hi! We were just diagnosed this week and I've started a blog for my kitty as well diabetescat.blogspot.com. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Scruffyetc. said...

Nancy -

LEVEMIR! Amazing stuff for cats who acted like PZI was water..... Still need the prescription, but it's not nearly as temperamental as Lantus.

lynda and scruffy