Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Letter to Isabella's Pancreas


This is a post I wrote on the Feline Diabetes Message Board a few months ago. Since I'm in a creative drought I'm re-posting it here - with a nod to Kerri at Six Until Me, whom I stole the idea from in the first place.


To Isabella’s Pancreas:

I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m the person who’s taken over for you since you decided to put your feet up and take a break. Now, I realize that a pancreas is busy. You have lots to do – what with secreting digestive enzymes, producing insulin, and heaven knows what else. And I have to thank you for keeping up that digestive work. Good going! But you’ve completely quit the insulin business, and this has caused both me and Isabella quite a lot of distress.

I know you’re not completely to blame. I admit my role in this. I took you for granted. I abused you. All I gave you to work with for the better part of 11 years was high carbohydrate dry food. I apologize – I really do. I didn’t know any better and I’m sure you got exhausted trying to keep up. I didn’t mean to wear you out and I promise – promise! – you will never again see more carbs than you can handle. I’ve learned my lesson. From now on I’ll treat you with the respect you deserve.

Because I know you’re in there. I see signs from time to time that you’re putting out a little insulin on your own. Do you do it to toy with me? Is it payback for all those years of kibble? Or are you really trying to get back on the job, but still need a little help? If you just need a boost, I'm here for you! (You have to admit I’ve done your job quite handily for the last year. And just look how perky Isabella feels.) I'm willing to work with you on this and I think we can get back to how things were. But better! All low carb, no kibble. And I’ll never take you for granted again.

Please, just tell me it’s not over.

Signed,
Your Stand-In
Nancy

PS: as a side note, since when is it OK to quit part of your job? Do you think I can go to work one day and just announce to my boss that I’ll no longer be responsible for half my duties so she should hire outside help? I’m thinking no. If I did that, well, we could all just kiss that expensive PZI goodbye and then you’d be out of your whole job, my friend. Give that some thought

1 comment:

Venita said...

Nancy, I just found your blog and I LOVE IT!! Thanks for about 40 minutes of pure joy!

Venita (and The Boyz)