Friday, June 22, 2007

Diabetes Geek … and Freaky Cat Lady




Last week I caught myself blathering on to my best friend about the differences among veterinary insulins. Truly blathering. Somehow, realizing how I sounded and how little she must care about the details of dealing with my cat’s disease, I cut myself off before she hung up on me.

I don’t want to be that person. I don’t want to be the freaky cat lady who only talks about her kitties and their ailments. A funny story now and then, OK. A lecture on 100% beef vs beef/pork PZI, not OK.

Save me from myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In keeping with my new title of Diabetes Geek, I’ve officially become a weirdo collector of glucometers. I only need one, mind you: my beloved Freestyle Flash which requires only a teeny speck of blood. So I have my primary Flash and a backup Flash (in case the first one goes belly up at an inconvenient time).

But the makers of glucometers love to give their product away for free. It’s hard to resist free. Neither of the Flashes cost me anything. Neither did the Bayer Contour that’s sitting in its unopened package. Or the OneTouch UltraMini I picked up last night with a free coupon. I still have a coupon for a free OneTouch Ultra (not mini), and I fully intend to go get one. And, because I could, I ordered two more minis through the mail (in pretty colors!) So, when this round of free acquisistions is done, I’ll have seven meters. Sheesh.

I think I’ll order one more mini and have it sent to my father’s house. What the heck. Then, maybe I’ll make up some Feline Diabetes Starter Kits and ask the vet to hand them out to newly diagnosed cat owners. Can’t hurt – and it makes me look more like a philanthropist than a weirdo.

Right?

No comments: