Saturday, April 21, 2007

Insulin guess-work

Isabella coughed up another unexpectedly low number yesterday afternoon: 133. Last week when she gave me a number too low to shoot, I waited until her blood glucose rose higher then popped in about 1/3 her usual dose. The next morning her glucose was in the mid-300s.

So last night I tried a different approach. when I saw the 133 on the meter, I decided just to skip her evening dose altogether. (Though I did go through the faux-poke routine with a capped syringe, in case the idea of insulin has some effect.)

This morning: mid-300s.

Okee doke then. I'll never figure this out.

Isabella, meanwhile, is happy as a clam. She seems not to care if her blood sugar is in the low-100s or 300s. It's only those double digits that make her squirrelly, and that's what I'm trying to avoid by not shooting her when she's at, say, 133.

No comments: