Friday, May 4, 2007

Here we go again...


She's doing it again.


My diabetic cat is giving me high blood glucose numbers. As in nearly 400.

After several weeks of staying in the 200s or lower, I had the audacity to think that maybe I'd found the right dose: 1.7 units BID. Not 1.6 units. Not 1.8 units. But 1.7 units.

Now those dreaded high numbers are showing up again. High numbers can mean she's not getting enough insulin. Or high numbers can mean that she's getting too munch insulin. With Isabella, at this dose, I'm guessing that her body has decided it's too much. 1.7 is three tiny drops away from 2.0 units. The only thing that's been consistent about Isabella's diabetes these past months is that 2.0 units is too much. So, when I start getting close to 2 units, I pay very close attention - to the cat and to the numbers.

Sigh. I'll give her a half dose this evening. I'll bet that her blood glucose drops like a rock. And I'll bet that if I stick with the smaller dose for any length of time, her numbers will start creeping up and her dose will start creeping up until I'm back to 1.7 units. Where we'll stay until her body decides it's too much.

Around and around and around we go...


No comments: