Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How to get blood from a cat


As I’ve said before, a major element of managing Isabella’s diabetes is testing her blood sugar before each insulin injection. If you’re familiar with feline diabetes, you may have seen this video, where Mark demonstrates a blood test on his cat Buddy. Pretty straightforward, right?

Sure, for Mark and his robo-cat.*

Around here, the twice-a-day blood tests have a slightly different look. Oh, the basics are the same: I use a glucometer, a lancet, and there is definitely a cat involved. But I have to add two other tools for my own safety: a big blanket and leather gloves.

Isabella, you see, isn’t too fond of the tests and she shows her displeasure with her teeth. Her sharp, flesh-tearing teeth.

The routine goes something like this:

I feed the cats (I learned pretty quick not to try the blood-letting on a hungry cat) and while they eat, I prepare the testing supplies. I get a test strip and put it in the glucometer almost far enough to turn it on, uncap a lancet, and lay the blanket open at the end of the couch. When the cats are done eating, Isabella comes to me expectantly. That’s when I get out the treats (bonita flakes) and the rice sock, which I warm in the microwave for 15 seconds, as I put on a pair of leather gloves with the finger tips cut..

I carry the treats & sock to the couch, with the cat trotting happily behind. I pick up Isabella and plop her (purring!) onto the blanket, where she sits as I wrap her like a little fur-filled burrito, leaving only her head showing. (Note: her head is where her teeth are. Hence, the gloves.)

Now the fun begins. Using the warmed rice-filled sock, I rub one of her ears to get the blood flowing, while also giving Isabella lots of chin and cheek scratches. She purrs, eyes closed. Drop the sock, grab the lancet, poke the ear. Isabella screeches as if I’ve sliced her entire ear off with a dull blade, and jumps – often getting partly free from the blanket – and bites whatever part of my hand she can get hold of. (She could get out of the wrapper at any time with minimal effort. It only sorta restrains her.)

I continue rubbing her ear, from bottom to top, hoping to bring a drop of blood to the tiny hole I’ve just made. Isabella growls. With luck, a big enough drop forms and I push the test strip fully into the glucometer, get the blood and a satisfying beep from the meter. If not, another poke, another screech and more rubbing. At the end, there are always bonita flakes for Isabella (and for Casey, who learned that if he hung around while his sister was abused, he would get rewarded. As if watching her abuse wasn’t treat enough.)

Most of the time, the process works. Sometimes after I wrap her, Isabella just calmly walks out of her restraint. Sometimes, her ear just won’t bleed. Sometimes – like last night – she’s just so feisty and vicious AND her ear so bloodless, that the whole process is a waste. But the majority of the time the deed gets done.

I don’t know why other folks can poke their cat and the cat doesn’t flinch. Maybe I’m just clumsy and heavy-handed. I’ve tried the lancet-launching pen and Isabella doesn’t feel a thing. But I find it hard to aim and hard to get a drop of blood, which leads to longer restraint, many more pokes, and, overall, a more stressful effort. So I’ll stick with my routine, as I’m sure, others find what works best for them.

After all, there are many ways to get blood from a cat.




*No offense Mark – your video is fantastic and I’m jealous of your well-behaved cat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You gave me a good laugh - I've tried,unsuccessfully to get blood - but will try again.